Thursday, December 24, 2009

Pyramid Lake (Wild Goose Chase)


Rt. 441 is paved through the town of Sutcliffe, Nevada. It quickly turns into a dirt road that allegedly connects with Susanville, California.                                              The highway offered beautiful views of the Virginia Mountains and Tule Peak covered in snow.


On the opposite side of the water, Rt. 447 is paved the full length of the lake. However the highway quickly veers to the eastern side of the Lake Range mountains.



The above map indicates there is shoreline access to "The Pyramid" rock formation via a dirt road. I was NOT able to find any such road; only a sandy hiking trail I assume leads to the Rock Pyramid. Along the way I visited the Marble Dam Fish Hatchery which was closed for the season.



Looking back on all the information I gathered on my trip to Pyramid Lake, I think the best access to The Pyramid is via boat. I'd guess the launch at the "Popcorn" area is the most direct route. BYOB!



My search for The Pyramid turned into a wild goose chase that lead me into the high desert away from Pyramid Lake. The sun was setting and the Mystery Machine needed gas. I turned back for the town of Nixon, NV.


No comments:

Post a Comment