Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Salt Springs Reservoir


The GPS got me lost.

The destination was Calaveras Big Trees State Park.

Garmin Nuvi took me off the highway.



A winding road led me through burning forest.



I think it was some kind of controlled burn.


The road got rough...



I descended into a ravine...


The GPS kept recalculating.


Whatever...



I crossed a single lane bridge.



I passed over a working flume.

Flumes direct water over and through the mountains to communities.



I came to a camping area. The road became dirt.



I passed over a fork of the Mokelumne River.



I arrived at the Salt Springs Reservoir.


Several dams dot the Sierra Nevada Mountains.


They capture melting snow-pack.



These dams regulate water flow to farms in the Central Valley.



A nice view of the Mokelumne Valley and PG&E hydroelectric plant.


I decided to back-track to Highway 88.



Salt Springs Reservoir was an unexpected but pleasant detour.

No comments:

Post a Comment