Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pyramid Lake (Mystery Machine Gets Stuck)

The Truckee River is the only outlet for Lake Tahoe. It flows north through California and into Nevada. It's final destination is Pyramid Lake north of Reno-Sparks.

Due to evaporation in the high desert Pyramid Lake is alkaline, but not dead.

Two species of fish once thrived here: the Lahontan cutthroat trout and cui-ui suckerfish. The latter is considered a prehistoric species and is found nowhere else.


The cui-ui survived in Pyramid Lake because it was the deepest point of the much larger ancient Lake Lahontan. This lake once covered most of northwestern Nevada! Lake Lahontan began decreasing in size after the last ice age.

The drive north on 445 out of Reno was spectacular. The highway gently undulates before revealing deep blue Pyramid Lake over the last crest

Pyramid Lake is surrounded by the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation. Aside from a small visitor center there is little to remind you of this. The lake is desolate and rugged.


Fortunately, it's also popular with fishermen.

I had headed straight for the water.
Ignoring
a 4x4 only sign, the
Mystery Machine got stuck in the sand.



I dug myself out. A few hours work and I had only backed up ten feet! Whats worse, the Mystery Machine was now resting on it's axels and running boards. I had no choice but to find help.



I jogged down the shoreline and found a group of fisherman. Not having much luck, they were packing it up to a better fishing spot. There was initial reluctance to tow me out. Supposedly, it's not allowed. I'd have to use the authorities and pay through the nose. There is a hefty fine ($450) for both tower and towee.



Luckily the Mystery Machine wasn't too far. They gave me a quick tow. I was back on the road in minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment