Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Black Chasm


I got back on Rt. 88.

I continued down the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

I reached the foothills and Volcano, CA.

Black Chasm National Natural Landmark
is one of several private caverns in Gold Country open for guided tours.



It was the end of the season.



I had a private tour of the caves.



Black Chasm
is rather deep.


It has some of the best formations I've seen.


Stalagmites
(not shown) rise from the floor like dust "mites".


Stalactites
cling "tight" to the ceiling.


Black Chasm has one of the largest displays of helictite crystals.



Helictite crystals form as water is pushed through rock pores.

The helictite crystal formations seem to defy gravity.


A scene from The Matrix III was shot here.



Black Chasm National Natural Landmark:

No comments:

Post a Comment